Welcome to Maxx Family Life
Divorce Groundsfrom: Maxx Family Life
The divorce grounds in the United States may vary from state to state. Below is a list of divorce grounds for some US states, as provided for by their respective state law:
Either of the party may file an action for the dissolution of marriage based on the following divorce grounds:
* Separation for two years
* Irretrievable breakdown of marriage
* Complete incompatibility of temperament
* Physical violence
* Abandonment for one year
* Becoming addicted, habitual drunkenness or habitual use of drugs
Furthermore, husbands have the additional divorce ground: if the wife was pregnant at the time of marriage without his knowledge or agency. On the other hand, wives have the additional divorce ground: nonsupport for two years or more.
Any of the spouses may file for dissolution of marriage based on of the following divorce grounds:
* Irreconcilable differences -- determined by court and parties must provide substantial reasons why marriage should not be continued
* Incurable insanity -- there should be proof based on competent medical testimony
Either of the parties may file an action for dissolution of marriage based on the divorce ground of irretrievable breakdown of marriage relations, provided the following circumstances concur:
* No minor child
* Both parties find that marriage is irretrievably broken
If there are minor children, the court can choose to order counseling or continue with the proceedings for three months. The court may also do other actions that are in the best interest of the parties and their children.
Mental incapacity is also a possible divorce ground, provided that it occurs at least 3 years prior to the filing of the action.
In Georgia, parties may file an action for dissolution of marriage based on any of the following divorce grounds:
* Irretrievable breakdown of marriage relationship
* Mental incapacity
* Force, menace, duress or fraud in obtaining marriage
* Pregnancy of the wife by a man other than the husband at the time of the marriage without knowledge of the husband
* Willful desertion for one year
* Conviction -- includes imprisonment for a term of two years or longer
* Habitual intoxication
* Incurable mental illness -- includes a situation where the party is under continuing treatment for two years
* Habitual drug addiction
The divorce grounds may be used as basis for an action for dissolution of a nonbinding marriage:
* Separation for six months
* One spouse has committed a felony and has been sentenced to death or imprisonment at hard labor
If the action for dissolution is from a covenant marriage, any of the following can be utilized as divorce grounds:
* Separation without reconciliation for a period of two years
* Separation without reconciliation for a period of one year from the date of the judgment of separation from bed and board was signed -- if the spouses have a minor child, the period is extended from one year to one year and a half
New York Divorce Law Moves Closer To Overhaul - Wall Street Journal
New York Divorce Law Moves Closer To Overhaul
Wall Street Journal
An independent commission reviewing New York's alimony laws recommended sweeping changes in a report issued Friday, including revamping formulas and throwing out a unique decades-old legal precedent that counts professional degrees as marital ...
The Past: After the Oscar-Winning A Separation Comes the Divorce - TIME
The Past: After the Oscar-Winning A Separation Comes the Divorce
When Ahmad (Ali Mosaffa) clears customs at de Gaulle Airport, his estranged wife Marie (Bèrénice Bejo) speaks to him urgently on the other side of a glass partition. They communicate with sign language and words the audience can't hear. If The Past (Le ...
Cannes 2013: Bright Palme future for The Past
66th Cannes Film Festival Review - The Past (2013)
Iranian director's taut family saga rivets critics at Cannes
Pat Robertson: Cheating, Marriage And Divorce Advice You Can't Miss - Huffington Post
Pat Robertson: Cheating, Marriage And Divorce Advice You Can't Miss
It is one of the most awful things, because here's the loved one -- this is the woman or man that you have loved for 20, 30, 40 years, and suddenly that person is gone," he said. "I know it sounds cruel, but if he's going to do something, he should ...
Pat Robertson tells wife of cheating husband: 'Be grateful you have a husband'
Kids And Divorce: Should You Stay Together For The Kids? Readers Weigh In - Huffington Post
Kids And Divorce: Should You Stay Together For The Kids? Readers Weigh In
Should you stick it out in a bad marriage for the sake of your kids? That's the question HuffPost Live tackled earlier this week in a segment delving into the most common reasons people divorce. Among the guests was Denise Alberts, a divorced mom who ...
Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert: 'The Voice' Judge Jokes About Divorce Rumors - Huffington Post
Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert: 'The Voice' Judge Jokes About Divorce Rumors
The Kris and Bruce Jenner <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/12/kris-jenner-bruce-jenner-divorce-rumors-continue_n_2284754.html">divorce rumors</a> that persisted throughout 2012 continued toward the end of the year, when the couple <a ...
Blake Shelton Delivers the 'Truth' Amidst Baby and Divorce Rumors